Thursday, July 26, 2018

Shane's Bucket

Today I had a day alone with Miss Kitty as Shane set off to fulfill a bucket list item of going out on the mail run around surrounding stations.  It was something he has been wanting to do since he found out about it 2 years ago when we were through here, and was the main reason for our coming to Coober Pedy this time around.  I was so disappointed for him because the morning was overcast and not at all what you want for photography, but we both hoped the clouds would clear - as they did.  Of he went at 8.30am being picked up at the gate of the park at 8.45.

Thankfully the wind came up some time after he left and blew the clouds away.  Unfortunately it was so strong it blew all the dust around as well.  I spent the early part of the morning doing laundry as I knew once the procession of new arrivals to the park started about 11.00am that the dust would rob me of any clean clothing.  Thankfully everything dried fairly quickly but the wind continued the entire day making any attempts to be out in it most unpleasant, so Miss Kitty and I enjoyed a quiet day together in the van doing a spot of reading, browsing the internet and just generally relaxing.  Actually Kitty slept most of the day so probably most of the relaxing part was her idea.  At least the bench tops and floor are clean and everything in its place - so not an entirely wasted day but due to the weather I didn't manage to get out to take any photos at all.

I'm not sure what time I expected Shane back but I suppose I had in my mind it might be around 6.00pm and of course I realised he wouldn't have any phone reception.  My phone rang at about 6.30pm from an SA number and it was Shane.  They were still at Oodnadatta - 200kms away - they were still to have dinner and then drive that final leg to Coober Pedy.  Knowing the road and the fact it was now dark - I figured it was going to be a while before we'd see him.  It was in fact 10.30pm when he and two other travellers from the caravan park were dropped off.  A bit tired and sore he was nonetheless excited to regale memorable moments from the day.  And yes thankfully he managed to get some shots from the day's trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Broken Hill finally - then home!

Our final day in Broken Hill which we enjoyed at leisure.  Our morning was a relaxing one, reading and resting, probably the last opportunit...